Ads distributed through a Google partner were putting users at risk of having malware installed on their devices. The vulnerability seems to have been solved, but many may have been affected. In other news, Mozilla has had to backtrack on its recent encryption feature after a HUGE vulnerability was discovered. Hear about these stories and more in this week's edition of IT Rewind!
IT Rewind Featured Stories:
Did our short segment leave you wanting more? Check out the original articles of stories we covered!
Continuum's Must-Read Blog Post This Week
image source: https://www.flickr.com/photos/pauldineen/2122384796/
Some of you may remember playing the popular game, Would You Rather? with your friends back in high school. Need a refresher? In it, you take turns asking one another funny, outrageous and mind-boggling questions like:
- Would you rather be really hairy or completely bald?
- Would you rather be poor and work at a job you love or be rich and work at job you hate?
- Would you rather fight 100 duck-sized horses or 1 horse-sized duck?
The questions you’re faced with daily, however, are significantly more challenging because they impact your business. We’ve come up with our very own MSP edition of Would You Rather, presenting situations that are relevant to your daily grind, whether you’re a business owner, technician or engineer.
Results are interactive and live so feel free to participate. After you vote, find out how your responses stack up against your peers! Read more »
New Continuum Content
Only 17% of SMBs say they're where they want to be with technology. How are you addressing the other 83% with IT support needs? First, you have to better understand those needs to see if your MSP business is the right fit.
Taken from responses from 500 executives with small to medium-sized businesses, CompTIA's recent Enabling SMBs with Technology study looks at how SMBs use technology, providing meaningful statistics MSPs can use to determine opportunities for their outsourced IT expertise. What are your prospective clients' technology insecurities and priorities? We've synthesized them into this shareable infographic. Enjoy! See more »
What Else Is New in the IT Channel?
Now that you've seen our top picks for this week, here are some more stories that made the headlines. Have a suggestion for a story that we should cover next week? Let us know by commenting below or tweeting @FollowContinuum or @BenDBarker!
New Evasion Techniques Help AlienSpy RAT Spread Citadel Malware
Threatpost, @, Michael Mimoso
Putting security second:
LG's Split Screen Software Allegedly Undermines Your PC's Security
Network World, @, Ms. Smith, @
Where are they now: Heartbleed:
Heartbleed a Year Later: How the Security Conversation Changed
eWeek, @, Sean Michael Kerner
Welcome back for another edition of IT Rewind, I’m your host Ben Barker.
A large number of ads coming from a Google advertising partners were putting users at risk. Tuesday, ads coming through a Bulgarian Google partner called Engage Lab were redirecting unsuspecting users to web-based exploits. From there, users were at risk of having malware installed to their devices. The Nuclear Exploit kit, which was the one being used in these instances, targets vulnerabilities in Adobe Flash Player, Oracle Java and Microsoft Silverlight. It is still unknown how many users were affected, but thankfully the redirects ceased later in the day on Tuesday.
Mozilla was forced to disable its recent encryption feature after it was discovered that a serious security bug was allowing attackers to use fake certificates to bypass HTTPS security. Firefox 37 was released on March 31st and was the first version of the web browser that included the vulnerability. The encryption feature was disabled on April 3rd with the release of Firefox 37.01. In a post on its security advisory page, Mozilla said quote – As a result of this, warnings of invalid SSL certificates will not be displayed and an attacker could potentially impersonate another site through a min-in-the-middle, replacing the original certificate with their own – unquote.
We’re just about out of time for this week’s edition of IT Rewind, but first, I want to provide all Continuum partners with a friendly reminder to register for Navigate 2015. Head on over to www.continuum.net/navigate2015 and book your ticket to Las Vegas!
As always, remember to read the full stories that we covered today by clicking on the links below, as well as the featured Continuum blog post of the week. This week we’re featuring our “would you rather” survey. Would you rather watch your office burn down or lose all of your data? Get hit with cryptolocker or hit with a shovel? Let us know.
Of course, you can always find us on Twitter, Instagram and Vine at FollowContinuum, as well as on Facebook, LinkedIn, Google Plus, Spiceworks and YouTube.
Take it easy.